Tuesday, November 20, 2007

NOLA Special: Hubig's Sweet Potato Fried Pie


Here's a new addition to the blog: NOLA Special. NOLA stands for New Orleans, Louisiana. I've lived in the suburbs (well, the bayous..) of the city my entire life. And if/when I move away, the thing I'll miss most is the food. So here I'll be featuring regional goodies, probably about once a month.

Today's feature is Hubig's Pies. Specifically, their fried sweet potato hand-pie. I'm sure most of you know this, but sweet potato pie is very similar to pumpkin pie. Same spices, same color, different vegetable. Sweet potato pie is more Southern, I think.

I call these hand-pies, but most people call them fried pies. They are fried turnovers. Each pie is big enough for one or two servings, depending on how hungry you are. They come in flavors like apple, lemon, chocolate, pineapple, coconut, peach, and of course, sweet potato. Apple is the most popular flavor. I know this because every time I go to buy one, half of the display is devoted to apple! Also, I'm pretty sure that sweet potato is a seasonal flavor for the fall.

I wasn't a pie fan when I was younger. The only time we had it was for Thanksgiving, but I always went straight for the Turtle Cake. I eat pie now, but I'm still more of a cake/cookie/candy girl, so Hubig's Pies often fall off my radar. But it's pie season, and I've been craving pumpkin pie. I thought Hubig's might make one, so I went on the hunt. My quest ended with the acquisition of this sweet potato pie.

The package told me to “microwave 25 seconds for a delicious treat.” Who am I to argue? I popped half the pie (I saved the other half for my mom.) into the microwave and nuked it for a few seconds. When I opened the microwave the kitchen was filled with the aroma of pumpkin pie spice. Nice.


The crust is like a pie crust and donut hybrid. This makes sense of course, since it's a pie that's fried like a donut. It's soft, flaky, and covered in glaze. Yummy! The filling is runnier than regular pie filling; this is partly due to my heating it. However, it's not so runny that it is messy. You could easily eat this with one hand. Anyways, the filling has a great blend of spices and really satisfied my craving for pumpkin pie.

Hubig's Sweet Potato Pie, I have a confession to make: I love you. Really, I do. Who else offers me a single serving (or two) of delicious pie for 89 cents?

2 comments:

Cakespy said...

Who are you to argue? This looks really similar to a type of pie I would eat growing up in NJ. Oh, memories...

Anonymous said...

Have to agree. One of the things I miss the most about LA is the food - especially beignets.